CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Single Parenting

I have known for a long time that I would be a horrible single parent. Tim is hands down, far and away, the better parent in this relationship. He is super patient and the "fun" parent - once V told me I needed to be silly and goofy like Daddy. :) He also has an identical personality to V - which is kind of scary since they are not biologically related. He "gets" her sometimes when she is being challenging in a way I don't. So...on nights he has to work late it is just weird around here. This week I have been staying up too late and having to get up and work as normal, so by the evening I am exhausted. This afternoon I laid down for a quick nap because I felt like I was going to fall asleep on my feet. Tim called a bit later and said he was going to be stuck at work with a computer issue - so I napped a little bit longer. V was being great, just playing in her playroom and coming to check on me every 15 minutes or so. I called Tim around 6 to find out when he was going to be home and found out that another problem had happened on top of the original problem, so it was likely he wouldn't see V and we needed to go ahead and eat dinner. Want to know what wonderful dinner I made? I cooked noodles, threw some alfredo sauce on them and cooked some chicken strips. TADA - chicken fettucine alfredo! I was going to run to McDonalds but I was still tired. It is so pitiful - if I had to be a single parent, I would probably never cook. I didn't do anything "fun" with V - we just ate dinner, went over her spelling words, watched TV, and then she went to bed. She has already told me she can't wait until Friday when she has her daddy to herself ALL DAY LONG (it's a teacher workday). I just can't compete...and I don't think I should try. Seeing her with her daddy and him with her....melts my heart in ways I can't describe.

So....what do you do when you are a "single parent" for the night????

2 comments:

  1. My hubbie usually goes and plays tennis with a friend of his each Tuesday night and then the two of them go out for sushi (I despise sushi).

    So, on Tuesday nights I'm a "single parent". Usually I just follow the same night time routine, dinner, bath, books, brushing, and bed. Sometimes I shake it up a bit and take the kids to the mall or to McDonalds. :)

    I'm not all that exciting either. My husband is most certainly the more "fun" parent of the two of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. there is nothing like the bond between a good daddy and his daughter! that is so sweet!

    on long exhausting weeks like you are having, i'd do the same darned thing... :-)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love!