CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Mommy guilt

Today was not a good day with V. She was super slow getting ready for school this morning, so I had to fuss and hurry her along all morning. After school, she accidentally erased a file on my computer and got my overhead transparencies all wet. It's not completely her fault - she has a stuffy nose which is making her a real grump. She is NOT a nice sick person - I wonder who she gets that from (Tim, don't say a WORD!). :) However, when we got home, I had just had enough. She had argued and been sassy and complained and fussed. I told her she needed to cut it out or she was going to have some serious consequences. She continued with her lovely 8 year old mouth so....consequences happened. She didn't like them, she didn't want anything to do with them, and what happened next wasn't pretty. Needless to say, Mommy won - consequences happened, but then later the "I should have" or "What if I had done..." start creeping in. I think moms beat themselves up so much and worry so much about being "the best" - I know I am guilty of it. Right now, V is tucked into bed, hopefully asleep and getting some rest, and I am sitting here wondering what I could have done differently. I know she needed some consequences - her behavior was awful - but yet I feel bad for giving them to her. Does anyone know what I mean? Thankfully tomorrow is another day and hopefully it will be better than today.

5 comments:

  1. No, I'm never mean enough to give consequenses--esspecially ones I second guess myself on later (insert heavy sarcasm please). I laughed reading your post because I have a second grader who is very spirited as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! I know exactly what you mean. You'd never know looking at my Jamey's chub chub cheeks that she's got a real mouth on her for a 3 yr-old. I have to do something but sometimes it isn't until I've walked away and calmed down that I realize I could have done it way better. In hindsight I'd be a great Mom ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin thankfully i can post a comment again!! i go through that every day, i think it helps make us better mommies!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ABSOLUTELY!!!! all good Moms wonder like that. Hang in there... she is a precious girl and she will thank you one day for the consequences she faced, that will help mold her into a wonderful young lady!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl, I know exactly. Im dealing with that right now myself..you know you rock as a mom though!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love!