CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Talking lions can help your child settle down for bed...

Recently, I decided to try a new bedtime routine with V. I have tried to read with her at bedtime before and it never works because she just talks the whole time and interrupts the story and frustrates me and wounds her up instead of winding her down for bed. However, she is getting older, so I decided to try reading a chapter a night out of a book series. I was also more clear about my expectations while we were reading. So far, it has gone really well! We started with "The Magician's Nephew" from the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. She ADORES the book and starts asking after her shower if we have time to read each night. Of course, there are nights where she goofs around and doesn't shower quickly and we don't have time to read but I really try to get to it each night if possible. It's so nice to end the night with cuddles and reading rather than just quick hugs and tucking and fussing to stop talking and go to sleep.

So what do your kids like to read at bedtime? We have a while before we finish Narnia (it's a 7 book series) but I would love suggestions for what to read next.

7 comments:

  1. my boys are big readers but read in their beds themselves most nights...they love the Chronicles of Narnia I think they finished up to Prince Caspian. Also Geronimo Stilton Books, Captain Underpants, Boxcar Children and few others

    ReplyDelete
  2. S and N read in bed by themselves and Alex gets read whatever he pulls off his shelf. There is a series of stories about dogs that they like to read, but I cant think of the name right now, but there are stories like "dog at the door", etc. N enjoyed the Tom Sawyer/Huckfin books, but that might be too boyish for V. Oh! The Little House on the Prairie series is good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Tale of Despereaux is absolutely wonderful (the movie was awful). It is VERY fun to read to kids. We have read it twice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harry Potter? :) When Snuggle Bug gets a bit older, I intend to read this to him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Erin. I thought I'd stop by to let you know that I'm giving away a FREE Chicken Soup for the Soul book. Stop by and leave a comment before end of day Saturday to be entered in for my drawing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've been reading Bible stories. The girls are also fans of Alice in Wonderland.

    I left an award for you on my blog. Stop by and grab it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My kids love to read ANYTHING, but I really like your idea of reading through a book series, especially one so theologically deep as The Chronicles of Narnia!

    How old are your kids? I wonder if my 5 and 4 year old are too young for those?

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love!